Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My First Day in Nome





Well, I arrived safely in Nome last night around 8:30PM. I walked off the plane with my 35 pound carry-on bag that landed on my foot from the overhead compartment in one hand, and my laptop over my shoulder. We had to carry our bags down the stairs from the back of the plane and walk into the airport. There were no actual gates in Nome...just a small airport the size of a house.

The security wasn't quite as intense as it is in Indianapolis. Families were waiting just inside the doors to greet their loved ones, there was a little waiting area that could seat about 20 people, and the place where you get your luggage was about the size of a long kitchen counter. About 50 feet in front of the entrance was the exit to the parking lot where Dan, a PA that works with Phil, awaited in his big SUV thankfully!! I had 2 huge 50 pound bags and my 2 carry-ons. In the parking lot we saw what we thought was a moose in the back of a pick-up truck, but Dan told us it was a REINDEER!! He had a red collar and was adopted by a family when he was young because his mother died.

Dan took us around town to show us the annex post office where big packages are dropped off, the beach where they mined for gold with dredges, the local hospital and schools, and front street where all of the local bars and restaurants are. Subway was there (very exciting because I have a gift card from mom!) but Fat Freddies is no longer open because Freddie died recently. Not sure if it was his diet or just natural causes. The whole tour was about 10 minutes with stops inbetween. The town is small, with mainly dirt roads, probably 2 paved roads, and houses that look really run down. There were a few areas where old mining equipment was randomly laying around that Dan called "parks." There are a lot of "parks" in Nome..mostly behind people's houses and on random side streets.

The apartment is very "rustic" and has the essentials - running water, a small couch, some dressers and end tables, and a kitchen table with chairs. All of the basics are here. My room looks like something from a 1970's horror movie and is very dark. I'll have to brighten it up. The living room has a cool lamp though that looks like spider arms with 4 lights. We don't have a TV yet, but it's on its way from Anchorage. I can't go too long without watching my favorite TV show, so you think you can dance. Hopefully mom and Jonathan will watch it together tomorrow night with the doggies in my honor :)


1 comment:

  1. The reindeers name is Velvet Eyes...he thinks he's a dog...likes to ride in the back of the truck. Don't pet unless his owner is around...he can be onery.

    ReplyDelete